Donor found!

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Tue Feb 13 10:04:55 GMT 2001

Shannen Durphey wrote:

> Bill Shaw wrote:
> > My main concern is CT Emissions might frown on an older motor transplanted into a 'newer' vehicle,
>
> Technically illegal.  EPA says that it's not allowed.  Some states tend to
> go with the emissions specs for the vehicle or engine, whichever is
> newer.  Last time I was involved in CT emissions (around 90-91) they would
> run the car on the dyno, then do a visual check if you failed the dyno
> run.
>
> Are you running a Chevy engine now?  8cyl?  I would consider reporting
> that I'd swapped the intake manifold and fuel system, instead of swapping
> the engine.

Upgrade the 87 TPI engine to 88 or 89 spec.  Install an 88 or 89 chip -
that shows a scan id correct for 88 or 89.  Tell the inspector the
engine is from a wrecked 88 or 89 donor - and that the wreck's owner
previously replaced the long block with a Pep Boys rebuild.

If the inspector checks the VIN stamped into the block, or the block's
casting code, you can blame Pep Boys for the 87 block.  I've looked
through lists of "order numbers" of rebuilt engines - they are usually
grouped together in spans of several years that had no long block
changes.  Thus, you can end up with an older block than the one you turn
in as a core.