'165 Minimum Air Question...(Round 2)

OneSS2NV at aol.com OneSS2NV at aol.com
Thu Feb 15 04:29:42 GMT 2001

In a message to the list, Kevin writes:

<< When you set min air, are you doing it with the IAC disconnected and then
resetting the computer before reconnecting it?  Sounds like maybe not...and
the IAC is at max open or damaged.  >>

   I did set the minimum air with the car in "Field Service Mode"...paper
clip between A&B on the ALDL, key on, engine off, wait the 30 secs 'til IAC
extends, unplug IAC, start car, adjust idle speed, then turn off key, take
out paper clip, and plug IAC back in.  Is this OK, or do I need to disconnect
the battery afterwards too to reset the whole shebang?

- and Shannen writes:

<< One question:  Did the car work with this minimum air setting at all?  TPI
engines
 seem to "use up" IAC motors more often than other systems.  One of the signs
of a
 faulty IAC is poor idle control when the engine is warm. >>

   The only time it feels like it will stall is going from Park or Reverse to
Drive.  Stopping is much better now with the minimum air set to 450 rpms...it
used to feel like I was fighting the car to slow down.  Idle is about 650 in
drive, 800 or so in park with the car in closed loop.  It does flare up on
cold start, and idle in traffic is fine too...that's what puzzles me.  The
only time it will stall is when the rpms are up (like Park or Neutral) and
shifted to gear.

   Based on what you guys have said, is it possible that the IAC motor is
going south?

       TIA,
         Steve Ragusa
          North Jersey