'165 Minimum Air Question...

Bob Wooten r71chevy at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 15 04:54:37 GMT 2001

so if i am getting this right, sounds like my throttle blades are to far
closed.  so if i open the throttle blades up the CPU is going to close the
IAC (reduce the counts).  but if i tweak the throttle blades the TPS is
going to be off.
so set the IAC ST the Counts are down to say 15 & then
re-adjust the TPS ST that TPS voltage is about .5 to .54 Vdc w/throttle
closed.  (is there a personal pref on the TPS voltage @ idle?  i hear a lot
of preferences but have yet to have someone give me a reason for any of
them)
This is the starting point for the hardware (right after i check to ensure
that i don't have any vacuum leaks & any other basic stuff that I ought not
miss before I start tinkering, you chuckling Bob V? hope so).
now that i have the hardware set, the question is, is there any idle
specific things to set for idle quality?

I just checked my GME Pro & the only idle specific thing i see is the idle
speed:temp table.  there is the VE table down @ the idle rpm/map setting.
this also brings up a subject that we had not long ago about the idle cell
being #4.  I don't see idle cells anywhere in the editor.  will i be able
to look up in the ANHT hac what columns/rows make up what idle cells?

when i got the system there was not any instructions on the hardware & it
has not come easy.  kind of sucks finding out 3 years later that the stupid
Throttle blades were set wrong.

what is the advantage to having the IAC counts "low" (Bruce you like them @
0)?  if the car wants X amount of air & Y amount of fuel to idle @ 800
(what my car is commanding @ temp), then what does it matter if the air
comes through the TB or the IAC?  I bet it has to do with decelerating &
other things that the cpu is going to control the iac for, but that is just
an ignorant guess, don't even know what other conditions are going to
demand higher iac counts.

I know i am a bit long winded, (this on a day that there is good traffic on
the list), trying to get up on the learning curve here.  please note that i
am keeping all of the interesting correspondence (interesting as defined by
me).  I am going to try to put this back together in small chunks that can
be posted on my web site  (or on DIY if worthy) for other newbies to learn
from & for reference.  when that time comes i would appreciate some
feedback from you old salts.

as always thanks Mucho for the input
Bob Wooten

Drive).
> At 90 something sounds like your min is off, as compared to your commanded
> speed, and any cam change would affect this.   Actually at 90 sounds like
> you might be near anti-stall,  I don't remember ever seeing that large of
> number on a fully warmed engine, at idle.
> Try setting the min idle to like 700, and commanded idle of 800 and see
> where ya are.
> Wholesale changes like this might bring on needing AE changes also.
> I'd also, 3x the mechanics of things.
> Bruce

--- Bob Wooten
--- r71chevy at earthlink.net