'165 Minimum Air Question...

Shannen Durphey Shannen at grolen.com
Thu Feb 15 05:01:37 GMT 2001

Funny how something comes up on the list, then shows up in the shop next day.

I've got a 4.3l tbi engine with a mild GM marine cam installed.  Other than the cam
and an open element air cleaner, it appears to be stock.  The truck won't idle,
hunts, chuggles at low road speed, has no power, and when cold it runs like a carby
car with the choke removed.  It likes to die when coming to a stop, and shifting
from neutral to drive or reverse causes large rpm changes.

Initially, looking at the IAC counts at idle (warm) shows 50-60.  But watching MAP
on the road I see that any amount of throttle opening sends MAP volts right to the
top of the scale.  That's a good sign that vacuum is really weak.  I can hear an
exhaust leak around the catalytic converter, and a definite sign of a bad converter
is poor vacuum.  So I downshift into second for some more driving.  Now I see that
opening and closing the throttle at 30-40mph causes the MAP signal to change very
rapidly.  This is not typical of a plugged exhaust system.  So I head back to the
shop for a good visual inspection.

First find.  Throttle plates are completely closed.  The throttle stop screw is not
even touching the throttle arm.  Fuel is forming a small pool on top of the
throttle plates while the engine idles.  I even consider playing with the TPS to
see if acceleration enrichment will fill up the tb bores.  : )  Then I find that
the timing is retarded by about 8 degrees.  Well, that certainly explains the lack
of vacuum, power, response...  Then I check the oil.  Sure enough, smells like fuel
due to excessive fueling and misfires at low rpm.

After adjusting the throttle plate opening, setting timing to factory specs and
changing oil, the IAC counts ended up around 19-20 with a stable idle.  But the cam
changes the power curve, factory chip tries to idle around 600 when fully warmed
up, vacuum is off by about 2", so the truck runs rich at idle.  BL #'s managed to
get as low as 90!!  Other end of the spectrum, around 3500 rpm, light to medium
load, BL is up by 10-12 numbers.  By the time the ecm gets to trying to switch
between stall saver/ and an over rich 600 RPM idle speed, IAC count was back up to
a fluctuating 30-35.

I'm going to make sure the fuel pressure is near the top end of the factory specs.
If it's low now, I can reduce the amount of work I'll need do at the top of the VE
tables by increasing it.  After that it's time to go into the chip.  I really
expect that the IAC counts will end up a fair amount below 50 when this job is
done.  That's the way it looks now, but things can change while I'm working.  The
numbers certainly aren't set in stone.

Hopefully this gives an idea of how the aspects of tuning should be considered
together, rather than separately.  It's kinda like the old proverb about 3 blind
men describing an elephant.
Shannen