'165 Minimum Air Question...(Round 2)

Dan Townsend xybertron at cox-internet.com
Thu Feb 15 05:09:02 GMT 2001

> In a message to the list, Kevin writes:
>
> << When you set min air, are you doing it with the IAC disconnected and
then
> resetting the computer before reconnecting it?  Sounds like maybe
not...and
> the IAC is at max open or damaged.  >>
>
>    I did set the minimum air with the car in "Field Service Mode"...paper
> clip between A&B on the ALDL, key on, engine off, wait the 30 secs 'til
IAC
> extends, unplug IAC, start car, adjust idle speed, then turn off key, take
> out paper clip, and plug IAC back in.  Is this OK, or do I need to
disconnect
> the battery afterwards too to reset the whole shebang?

I've never had to reset the ECM during this.

> - and Shannen writes:
>
> << One question:  Did the car work with this minimum air setting at all?
TPI
> engines
>  seem to "use up" IAC motors more often than other systems.  One of the
signs
> of a
>  faulty IAC is poor idle control when the engine is warm. >>
>
>    The only time it feels like it will stall is going from Park or Reverse
> Drive.  Stopping is much better now with the minimum air set to 450
rpms...it
> used to feel like I was fighting the car to slow down.  Idle is about 650
in
> drive, 800 or so in park with the car in closed loop.  It does flare up on
> cold start, and idle in traffic is fine too...that's what puzzles me.  The
> only time it will stall is when the rpms are up (like Park or Neutral) and
> shifted to gear.

With minimum air set I don't see how it could stall.

>    Based on what you guys have said, is it possible that the IAC motor is
> going south?

You should see it hunting at idle.  Take Diacom if you have it an look at
the desired rpm and watch the IAC counts.  If the counts are moving along
with the idle I would doubt the IAC was bad.  Have you ever taken out the
IAC and cleaned it?  You would be amazed how much carbon can get on it in a
short period of time.

Dan