Remember trace detonation, headgaskets and bearings

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Feb 17 00:09:28 GMT 2001

Just as of a couple hours ago picked the heads up.
I get premium work by leaving things at, when ya gettem done, call me.
Time consuming, but surfacing, 3 angle valve job, checking all the springs
at both heights, setting the spring heights, sanblasting, etc for $150 ain't
bad.  And the guy knows I check his work, so no short cuts.

Tell, ya this trace, tip in detonation stuff is killer.   Had several
*events* with guys having minor problems, and all over just a couple
degrees.

I can't stress enough this running as little timing as consistant with max
perferomance, and if possible 2 less then that for the street.

THEN, on the trasistions from cruise to PE,
on a MAP car big cam,
say your running 36d at 2,000 rpm, 40-50 K/Pa,  while it looks Pretty to us
humans, to take 2-3 degress per step, you might find either end really
*flat* compared to the other side.   Don't be afraid to try stepping alot of
timing out of cruise.   60-80   K/Pa is a common signal for grades, and that
is the last place you want to trace detonate a motor.  You never know when
you might wind up running in that range, and possibly for MINUTES at a time.

Cheers
Bruce

> Hiya Bruce, do you have your heads back on with new gaskets yet, or did
you
> tear the entire motor down?  I am now getting a rattle from deep within
and
> more vibration than I think should be acceptable when the engine is cold.
> am wondering if 2 years of too much advance may have hammered the
bearings. I
> have now 2000 miles after blowing the headgaskets.  I have plenty of oil
> pressure - 60+ hot.  It has been buttfreezing cold and I am thinking about
> getting rid of the extra advance the cold table provides.  I am running
the
> stock TBI timing curve plus 8 crank degrees.  If anyone has any clues let
me
> know.  I don't think I will have any problems starting or running even
with
> removing most of the added advance.  Also, is the cold table just used
while
> the engine is in open loop?
>
> Thanks for listening to my electroyappin!
> Ryan Hampl - a K-State Grad!  kasaryan at aol.com
> 139 Hoover Ct.                     Controls Engineer
> Salina, KS  67401                  97 B12 / 93 chevy truck EFI 383
> phone  (785) 825 5831
> I'M ALWAYS FIRST TO THE GROCERY STORE!
> http://hometown.aol.com/kasaryan/myhomepage/hotspot.html
> <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/kasaryan/myhomepage/hotspot.html">Ryan