Later MAFs

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Feb 18 17:59:26 GMT 2001

I'd done some experimenting this am and thought I'd share it with ya'll.
Bailey Eng., makes a Translator.   It allows the use of the late MAFs (AL
housing) on the GNs (old platic Bosch units).  For some time there has been
talk about removing the screens on the oem one, and performance.
Thanks to a couple listers, I had some spare bits to play with, and did the
following, and there are the results.
1.  Running both the screen and foil, the car was smooth as silk, but with a
slight loose of responsiveness.
2.  Running just the foil was more responsive, but at anything over 10 PSI
of boost, was not very linear in relationship to the R/H pedal.
3.  Running just the screen was the best of both worlds.................
10-24 PSI of boost is like having a rheostat for the R/H pedal.
Extremely drivable at higher boost levels especially when cornering.

the next *experiment*  is running the 3.5 guts with the screen in the 3.0
case.

Removing a few tabs allows the center section from the 3.5 to exchange with
the 3.0...   I've run that, and will again, just starting with the low end
of performance and working things up from there.
Cheers
Bruce
    Owner of CSH, HQ, and a product user !!..