ECM 1227748, creating a new ECU file?

Nick McAlpin nmcalpin at quiknet.com
Tue Feb 20 02:21:03 GMT 2001

What does it take to make a new ECU file from scratch?

I'm the one with an 88 coupe who got some help from the list over
the past few days (thanks all!) and i am interested in working with
the EPROM code/tables a little bit but being a less common ECM,
the ECU doesn't seem to exist.

So, my question, is building an ECU really not much more than
looking through the bits of the .BIN, identifying tables purely by
pattern and then playing with them to find out what they do?  what
about single byte memory spots - do you guys just change the
value one byte at a time to find out what it does?

is there any standardization in the table formats of ECM's?  For ex.
if I find a table of size X columns and Y rows that it is probably
table Z?  or is every ECM/bin different.

It seems like if I have to start from total scratch, I could end up
burning 1000's of EPROMS and doing a lot of guesswork (and hope
not to break anything in the meantime?)

thanks! nick