ECM 1227748, creating a new ECU file?

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Feb 20 03:24:45 GMT 2001

> What does it take to make a new ECU file from scratch?

I cheat.
I take an existing one and then edit to my material (I don't actually use
winbin, since I another system I learned on).

> So, my question, is building an ECU really not much more than
> looking through the bits of the .BIN, identifying tables purely by
> pattern and then playing with them to find out what they do?  what
> about single byte memory spots - do you guys just change the
> value one byte at a time to find out what it does?
> is there any standardization in the table formats of ECM's?  For ex.
> if I find a table of size X columns and Y rows that it is probably
> table Z?  or is every ECM/bin different.

Nope
Generally 15x15 tables are about the min size for timing / fuel tables on a
MAP system
I have "yet" to see one go over 20x20, FWIW.

> It seems like if I have to start from total scratch, I could end up
> burning 1000's of EPROMS and doing a lot of guesswork (and hope
> not to break anything in the meantime?)

That's exactly how Programming 101 was done.   Lead to building the ecm
bench, which has really paid for itself over the years.
Bruce