1227730 with 2 bar Map?

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Fri Feb 23 17:06:51 GMT 2001

Dan Townsend wrote:

> So what would keep me from using a 2 bar Map but with the 730 ECM and 730
> code but tune what the computer now sees as 50 KpA to actually be the real
> 100 KpA.  This would allow me to tune the setup to up to 14.7 lbs of boost.
> Does this sound like I'm on the right track?  The only thing left is doing
> the VE tables and spark Map.  This would leave me with all the functionality
> as before.

The problem is that there are so many table values that care only about
idle MAP ranges.  You'll spend the next year tweaking all the tables.
There are even assumptions in the software about the range of MAP values
to expect under certain conditions.  Further, both the 1 and 2 bar
sensors have an offset at the lower end of their ranges.  It differs
between the two.  This offset is hardcoded into the software.  If you
change sensors but not software, you'll end up with an error in the
VE->pulse width calculation.  It may be possible to cancel this out via
the VE tables, but that might create other errors.

GM's solution is to add a short piece of code that takes the 2 bar
reading and creates a simulated 1 bar reading that 90+% of the code
uses.  This way 90+% of the tables and set points can remain unchanged.