Helpful suggestion

Shannen Durphey Shannen at grolen.com
Sun Feb 25 01:50:34 GMT 2001

I dunno how many guys are doing this, but it works extremely well for me.  I use
Windows to run whatever tuning software I'm using.  That allows me to compare
multiple .bins at once, or open a hex editor simultaneously, or to find where I
saved that missing .bin file, compare Excel spreadsheets...  whatever.

But doing this means restarting the pc in DOS mode every time I want to burn a
chip, then going back to Windows for the next round of tuning.  It gets to be a
PITA, and if your pc takes a while to boot, the restarts can easily eat up the
better part of an hour.

So I've got my keyboard and monitor hooked to a switch that allows sharing between
2 pc's, and I use an old 386 to operate the burner only.  I simply make the .bin
files I want, save them to the hard drive of the Windows machine, and transfer them
to the DOS only machine via 3 1/2" floppy.  It works great, and it makes me feel
good because I didn't have to throw that old pc away (I probably have it because
someone else threw it away).  Plus I have automatic backups of all my .bin files.
The used pc store sells switches allowing 2 pc's to share keyboard/monitor for $15.

For anyone who's burning many .bins, this can be a real timesaver.

Shannen