Helpful suggestion

Keith D. Miller kdmiller at westnet.com
Sun Feb 25 05:41:32 GMT 2001

Typical, if they didn't teach it in collage...

> One pc has windows NT workstation, the other is DOS only.
> I've got a few network cards around.  It only seemed
> natural to connect the two.

To connect 2 network cards without a hub, you need to use
a crossover cable, easy to find now that DSL & cable modems
have become common.

> Any sources of info you can recommend?  I'm going to look
> for readme files on the NT machine.  I found a webpage
> that says there might be some info there.

A search on the M$ kb using WGAO as a keyword will turn up
much.

> Right now the floppy disk solution works.  Someday I'd
> like to connect the machines together.  Floppy disk drives
> plus garage environment make for trouble.

That's why I like networking, don't even have a working
floppy on this 'puter, never use it, don't care. And the
network blows the floppy away.

> Some things I've found:
>
> Workgroup Add-On 3.11 for Dos seems to be the most common
> hit on the search engines. There's some update files
> around. No good pages explaining the set up part yet.

Same thing. Windows 3.11 was also known as WfWG, although
there were 2 different versions of 3.11. Setup is pretty easy, if you
can find some disk images to do the install.

Keith