2732A EPROM problem

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Mon Feb 26 01:55:21 GMT 2001

The chip access time is not related to the programing
time.  The variation in programing time is likely related to
use of a smarter algorithm.  The old way is 50 ms at each
address, no matter what.  That adds up to nearly 4
minutes.  The "smart" way goes something like this.  Hit
the address with a 2 ms pulse, then check if it "took" all
bits.  Keep doing this till it does.  If it made it over the top
in 4 pulses (8 ms), give it 4 more to be sure it is pushed
down the other side of the hill.  You are now done in only
16 ms (instead of 50); move to next address

4 minutes is not so long; I prefer the old way.  2732As are
pretty reliable chips, if not damaged.  Bruce Roe