TPI fuel pressure

Greg Westphal gcwestph at erols.com
Tue Feb 27 01:27:18 GMT 2001

"Marteney, Steven J." wrote:

> Gauge was VERY steady on the 305 IROC, very erratic on my car.  Same gauge.
> So unless the gauage behavior varies from connection to connection, I doubt
> it's the gauge.  Clearly more testing is needed.  Been wanting to do the
> in-car test with gauge on windshield but my hose is short enough really only
> the passenger can see.  Will do that tomorrow on the way to work.  My
> carpool partner needs something to do!

I think it's the fuel pump.  Mine acted like that, at first not very
noticable, then the car would buck and surge at anything between idle
and WOT.  Hooked up a friend's pressure gauge that we taped to the
windshield and had him watch it while I drove around.  It bounced around
during part-throttle driving, but was steadily dropping at WOT with no
increase in pressure at all going from part-throttle to WOT. :-o :(  I
had the fuel pump replaced with the high-volume Walbro pump from Ron
Gregory and that took care of everything. :)  My old fuel pump was 13
years old and had been starved of fuel a few too many times on an auto-x
course...

> The inline filter really is new!  Replaced it not that long ago.  Can't
> imagine it being the cause.
>
> Steve (lookin for a few good little guys!)

HTH,

Greg Westphal
'87 IROC