Programmers and emulators

den Broeder, Ernst edenbroe at cisco.com
Wed Feb 28 15:48:51 GMT 2001

This idea of life span reminds of something else I was wondering
about.  Has anyone had bit errors in their EPROMs occur after X number of
months with the same chip?  (Hah!! Same chip for months you ask??)  The
programming algorithm that the PP uses is mighty quick compared to the
recommended method that the $7,000+ Data I/O unit here at work
uses.  Programming a 27C32 "by the book" on the Data I/O takes well over 1
minute.   The PP, about ~2 seconds.  Short cutting on the programming time
can lead to life span problems on the data contents within the eprom.

-Ernst