Programmers and emulators

Craig Marcho marcho at flash.net
Wed Feb 28 16:22:31 GMT 2001

> This idea of life span reminds of something else I was wondering
> about.  Has anyone had bit errors in their EPROMs occur after X number of
> months with the same chip?  (Hah!! Same chip for months you ask??)  The
> programming algorithm that the PP uses is mighty quick compared to the
> recommended method that the $7,000+ Data I/O unit here at work
> uses.  Programming a 27C32 "by the book" on the Data I/O takes well over 1
> minute.   The PP, about ~2 seconds.  Short cutting on the programming time
> can lead to life span problems on the data contents within the eprom.

I did have a chip that I made for somebody 6 months ago start acting up
recently. It was a 2732A I think. Just out of the blue it started running
terrible and check engine light came on. Put the stock chip in and
everything was fine again. I burned a new chip for him, and it works fine.
hmmmmm.... it was programmed with the PB-10 though, not a PP. But it did use
the 'quick' programming algorithm.

Craig M.