[Diy_efi] Emerald ECu

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Thu Jun 6 13:02:08 GMT 2002

Hi,

It would appear that some comments I made recently on the list regarding the
Emerald M3D ECU have caused some ripples in the emerald owning community, so
I would like to try and put the record straight over some things that may
have been misconstrued.

1. I have nothing against Emerald. They do an amazing job supporting the kit
car and motorsports community. I wish them well and own Dave Walkers book.

2. If you live in England, have a highly tuned 4-cylinder NA road or track
car and want an ECU that is easy to set up and can be programmed by the
developer on their in house rolling road it is a very ttractive proposition.
and good value, especially as they are plug compatible with certain OEM
ECUs.

3. Owners of said cars, with power bands starting at 4000RPM have had very
good results with Alpha-n. The factory ECU SD option was badly mapped so
they get 30% more low end with the new ECU and therefore think that SD is
bad in a performance car.

4. Emissions regs for kit cars are still lax in the UK.

5. In England Haltech. Motec etc are fiendishly expensive for the domestic
consumer

6. In the USA Haltech, motec, SDS, FJO are a better value proposition. The
original post was with regards to a 327 in an S10. There are a lot of ECUs
better suited to this app, especially if in an emissions controlled area.

7. Amongst certain groups of owners of said highly tuned 4-cylinder NA cars,
a few of whom I count amongst my friends there is a tendency for 'emperor's
new clothes' syndrome to run rife, causing people to switch off various
higher order reasoning and believe that because Mr.X has fitted widget Y to
his car, it must be the best. This sheep mentality does tend to wind me up
and may have affected the tone of my mail.

I hope this clears things up a bit. If anyone still has an issue with my
comments please contact me directly rather than through a 3rd party. I don't
bite and would be happy to explain my opinions, preferably over a pint of
ale.

Bill