[Diy_efi] Basic Speed-Density equations?

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Fri Jun 14 21:17:09 GMT 2002

> Jim,
>
> Read the first couple of pages in Bruce & Al's paper on implementation

Read it, good reference.

If I base fuel flow on MAP, air temperature and RPM, I can come to a value
that will at a minimum produce power let's say 90% of maximum power.  Let's
say that for my purposes this is excellent enough to keep my airplane from
falling out of the sky.

If I use MAP, temp and RPM, how do I do this without electricity?  I don't
think I can.  Map and temp seem possible, but RPM needs to be some
mechanical actuator based on a mechanical rate.  Maybe some centrifugal
arrangement would work ... maybe it's not as far fetched as I think.  What
does everyone else think?

What I'm working on is the backup scenario to my EFI injection that is
already finished.
I've got it worked out on paper to use a rolling diaphragm cylinder that
actuates a fuel metering valve.  The cylinder has a canister referenced to
some known pressure.  Let's assume sea level pressure at 60 degrees
fahrenheit.  The good part is that this compensates for temperature also.
The other half of the cylinder would be referenced to MAP.  I am planning to
throw away the RPM part and go on MAP alone.  Remember, this is the backup
system.  I'm not interested in efficiency, just reliability.  I could of
course go with a mixture adjustment knob, but I'm trying to engineer that
out of the system.