[Diy_efi] Intercooled question

Eck, Joel Joel.Eck at hp.com
Wed Jun 26 16:40:32 GMT 2002

Additionally, the MSDS listed for 134a doesn't reveal anything all that =
extraordinary or surprising; in fact, the MSDS for their 12a product =
looks like it's incomplete. Plus, their supporting documentation about =
the evils of 134a looks suspicious to me (it looks modified, but that's =
my opinion).

most people who has been around for the last 15 years or so know that =
some people use freon (regardless of which flavor) to get high, so the =
indications listed for 134a don't surprise me, they are probably in =
there for 12 as well (and 22, 502, etc..). it does surprise me that they =
are not listed for their product, but maybe propane doesn't have that =
effect.

something about running propane around under the hood of a car that =
could conceivably be hit very hard, rupturing the system, bothers me. I =
know most refrigerants are flammable, but propane just seems more =
volatile to me.

now, to put something in to get back on topic:
someone had mentioned to me that they were considering an 'on-demand' =
intercooling setup for use at the dragstrip; namely, using nitrous to =
chill the intercooler when desired, and then venting the nitrous from =
the intercooler into the intake charge ahead of the intercooler. My =
problem with that idea was the possibilty of uneven distribution of =
nitrous throughout the engine, and how to figure out exactly how much =
fuel you would need to add (due to the additional oxygen) without =
blowing the thing up.