DIY telemetry ... Re: [Diy_efi] tiny injection

The Punisher punisher454 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 28 18:25:59 GMT 2002

I have used both the Microchip PIC uC's and Atmel AVR's. I dont do assembly,
so I use basic compilers.
For the PIC I use Micro Engineering Labs PIC Basic Pro Compiler. Its easy to
use, and has good final code size/speed. the code syntax is 99% compatible
with basic stamp code, but you'll be running MANY, MANY times faster!!(and
way cheaper too!) My prefered PIC chip is the 16F877.

I also use the Atmel AVR series. I realy like these better, they cost less,
and run faster due to the fact that they execute aprox 1 instruction per
clock instead of one per 4 clocks on the PIC. I use the AtMega series
running at 16Mhz. The compiler I use is FASTAVR. Its very easy to use, and
has very compact/fast final code. I'd say its final code runs as fast as
most average "C" compilers (but not quite as fast as the real high end
stuff). I use the STK-500 programmer/development system which only costs
79.00! I prototype on a breadboard and use an ISP cable to download programs
as I write them. Development time is REAL FAST! Without too much effort I
can get nice readings on the ADC down to about 10-20mV. I interface an LCD
display on almost evrything I make and actuly use the display for most of My
debugging while I code.
The Atmel also offers the AVR studi software which is quite pwerfull for
FREE!!! If you like "C" then the "AVRGCC" compiler is free and is said to be
good.
Alot of people use motorolla processors and the '51/'52 series stuff. I may
be wrong but I believe most of this stuff is a bit dated and slow. I think
you'll also find the hc11 and 051 guys are probably the ones that learned it
school many years ago. (I KNOW I gonna get flamed on this one!!!) hehehehe

And about the price inflation thing on the latemodel car performance parts.
Where I used to work we did 4thgen F-bodies and C5 vettes
exclusivly(almost). Dont get me wrong, the C5 is an awesome car, but the
price hike for very similar(sometimes the same)parts is outrageous! But hey,
if people are willing to pay it, the companies are only too happy to charge
them more. I guess it makes some people feel better about themselvs if they
pay more, especialy if they let YOU know they paid more :)