[Diy_efi] Re: DIY telemetry ...

Sean Olson sto9013 at ksu.edu
Fri Jun 28 18:36:37 GMT 2002

I don't know about a better transmitter, but as for a microcontroller you
probably can't get much cheaper in low quantities than with a PIC
(http://www.microchip.com).  I've started playing with the PIC 16F876
which has 8K words of flash program memory, 368 bytes of data RAM, 256
bytes of EEPROM data memory, 5 10 bit A/D converters, 3 timers, supports
clock speeds up to 20 MHz, and costs about $6 plus shipping in a 28 pin
SPDIP package from pioneer (http://www.ied.pios.com/).

As far as programming this PIC goes, it's pretty cheap and easy too.  I
built a simple parallel port programmer for about $20 inluding a ZIF
socket based off the schematic at http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/ .
Software for the programmer is free and available for both Windows and
Linux.  Free assembly compilers are also available for both Windows and
Linux.

Sean