'165 Minimum Air Question...

Shannen Durphey Shannen at grolen.com
Wed Feb 14 12:41:15 GMT 2001

It really depends on your car.  If you're running a completely stock engine with
factory equipment and reasonable wear, then yes, it's high.  If you're running a
cam with 320/320 duration and 104 degrees overlap, then no, you've actually done a
good job of keeping the IAC counts down.  The number is a guideline that I use when
tuning, when doing tune-ups, and when adjusting minimum air on a mild car with a
working calibration.

I have never seen an IAC count of 256 displayed on a scan tool.  Even with a faulty
IAC being commanded full open, I've never seen this count displayed.  If it was up
around 100 for a mild engine, I'd be thinking about other ways to get the numbers
lower, and I'd be looking at the throttle plates, intake, etc for carbon and
garbage buildup.  Opening throttle reduces vacuum to things like brakes and pcv, so
it's not a bad idea to get the rpm as high as you can while keeping throttle at a
minimum.  If ya gotta, ya gotta, but
if ya don't...

But it's really a guideline to be used in conjunction with the other factors which
affect idle speeds.

Shannen